Tuesday, November 10, 2020

The Grandfather and Grandmother!

 



( The English version of the last Malayalam story.)

Sreedhar Naidu was a jovial manager of a company in Hyderabad and Alok and Supriya are his subordinate colleagues.

“Supriya will be a good partner for you. I think she has s..om..e.th..ing in her mind......” Sreedhar Naidu makes friends with people fast.

“Not yet thought of a marriage, I am only twenty-six now.” Alok.

“Aha! the right age only. Once you talk to her and…., O! Here comes she. I shall call her this side, Supriyaa… Supriyaa….” Naidu.

“Called me? I am going home. It is already seven.” Supriya.

“You are new here. So, be friendly with the people around you. You chat with each other, I am coming.”

“Where are you from?”  Alok.

“Bhopal,” Supriya.

“Staying in a hostel, here in Hyderabad?” Alok

“No, in a flat with a few ladies from our company.” Supriya.

After quieting himself for a while, Alok, “See, we are grown-ups now. I shall tell you frankly. 

Mr Naidu brought a proposal for me. Um….you are the girl.”

“………………..”

“But you are not my choice.”

“Insulting me, after calling here? Why do you think I am not your choice? Am I not good looking, not well-educated, not well-employed? I think I am all those.”

“Yes, you are pretty, well-educated, well-employed. That is not a problem. My parents are no more, brought up with difficulty by grandparents. I studied well and am now well-employed. They know only Malayalam. I want a girl, who can communicate with my grandparents.”

 “O, that counts a lot, then listen, I belong to Kochi. My parents settled in Bhopal. Ours is a traditional type of family. So, my father wanted us to learn Malayalam; we, the siblings write, read and speak our language,” Supriya, who communicated till then with Alok, only in English, spoke in good Malayalam, bearing a grin on her visage.

13 comments:

  1. Love for language is very emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting bit of story. Arranged marriages and introductions are also common here. I like the humour in your story. A serious theme with humour thrown in, well written. Thanks for dropping in

    ReplyDelete
  3. Language is a great connector in relationships, is it not? Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one. I liked the concern shown by the young man that the young lady should be able to converse with his grabdparents in the only language they knew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be interested to see the next episode!

    (At Poets and Storytellers United, we post a new 'Friday Writings' every week, and while it is fine to post any time during the week, the closer to the Friday post, the more readers you are likely to get from that link. Just a hint. *Smile*.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprise, surprise... I wonder if the discovery of a language in common will solve all their issues.

    ReplyDelete