Sunday, April 29, 2018

Her Better Half!

(A mini story)

As she crossed the brink of her wedlock, the flight of her hope took her amidst the brightness of the stars.   With milk in hand and mirth on lips noiselessly she stepped into the conjugal room. She took a few moments to realize that she was not dreaming because the room was highly decorated as if it was an exhibition hall.  The nuptial bed was adorned with an ornate sheet which seemed identical to a garden of multi-coloured blooms. Moreover, flowers fresh from the garden were sprinkled on the sheet and that made it difficult to differentiate the design from the real flowers. Ranjini though favoured not much snobbishness, somehow developed a fascination towards the decorations in that room.

Her better half had already established the ownership of his space on the bed.He was lying near the wall turning towards it.

She sat on the bed,” Milk.”

 He didn’t heed attention or pretended so. Ranjini slightly raised her voice,” Milk.”  He turned straight a little and lay facing the ceiling.

“Please drink a better half of the milk and give me the other half, “ Ranjini’s sound had captured a little anxiety in that.

“…….,”Parthip.

“Amma told me to give the milk to you.,” Ranjini with a tint of sobbing in her voice.

“…….”Parthip.

“It is the custom, half you will have and the other half for me.”

“What custom? Don’t pretend. You are not that simple. I know you have a boyfriend. Together you were on beach, theatres and..  um….I don’t tell much,” his voice had attained more decibels in volume. 

An unforeseen thud hit her head and she slipped and directly fell into the abyss.  Such an awful blow, she couldn’t think of.

Ranjini’s sound was reluctant to come out; it held tightly to her throat. Her eyes instead started speaking by letting surge her tears in abundance. Her mind went on persuading her to pour her thoughts out through the throat.

Thinking, come what may she said,” How can you say so? Can you tell me the name? Who told you like that? A series of interrogations spurted out of her lingual part.

“Then why didn’t you withdraw? What for all these luxuries? You could turn back from this exercise,”  she said.

 “Having a boyfriend is not a big thing. No male will marry a flirting girt. I am not of that sort.My parents are very strict and I was fully in my studies.” continued she.

“I came to know the things yesterday only. I didn’t want to put up a show at this eleventh hour in front of all.”

“Okay, impossible to live with you, I’ll call my parents .I’ll go now itself,” she took a right turn and stepped towards the door.

A strong arm encircled her and another arm snatched the milk spilling it on the floor. Before understanding what had happened, she was in the close clutches of his arms.

“You know I am a cine-actor. How was my performance?” holding her more tightly.   








13 comments:

  1. That was a crude and heartless joke on his wife who came to him on their first night with million dreams.
    Anyway it ended happily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHaHa. Great suspense at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Sarala, you had me there! I was starting to feel sorry for Ranjini's state and boom came the twist. Wonderful narration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. more than the story i liked your narrating style of it..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting! Your narration is superb! May be I would end the storys by making Ranjani pour all the milk on his head and get going! Just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kept wondering what the ending would be. And it was good one :-)

    ReplyDelete